|Project full title||
Springboard for excellence in advanced development of antibacterials
|Grant Agreement No||951883|
|Programme||H2020-EU.4.b. – Twinning of research institutions|
|Implementation period||01.09.2020. – 31.08.2023.|
|Project coordinator||Prof. Raivis Žalubovskis, Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis|
|Project partners||Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis (Latvia)|
|The University of Florence (Italy)|
|The University of Helsinki (Finland)|
|The University of Copenhagen (Denmark)|
|The University of Antwerp (Belgium)|
|Overall Budget||€ 899 962.50|
|EU contribution||€ 899 962.50|
|Costs for Latvian partner||€ 466 250.00|
The main goal of SPRINGBOARD project is to strengthen research potential of the Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis (LIOS) through establishing long-lasting and sustainable collaboration network with the leading European research institutions – University of Antwerp, University of Copenhagen, the University of Florence and the University of Helsinki – in the area of advanced discovery and design of novel antibacterial drugs. Increased competence of LIOS staff (especially early-stage researchers) on the identification of new enzymatic targets, application of natural products and their synthetic analogues, biopharmaceuticals, antisense and peptide antibiotics as antibacterials, as well as experience on biofilm formation and quorum sensing molecules as targets for new antibacterial therapies, will be achieved as a result.
The implementation of SPRINGBOARD will ensure the establishment of the platform of excellence in this area through:
- exchange of the best practice via staff exchange and expert visits;
- increase capacity building of early-stage researchers;
- improvement of research management and administration skills;
- organization of joint events;
- building capacity for participation in competitive joint proposals of projects for Horizon Europe and other relevant programmes;
- dissemination, communication and outreach activities.
This collaboration will ensure:
- full exploitation of research and innovation capacity of LIOS;
- rise of LIOS staff research profiles focusing on early-stage researchers;
- increase in LIOS visibility and integration in ERA;
- contribution to actual socio-economic challenge in connection to widespread infectious diseases;
- public awareness on the importance of the development of new antibacterial drugs.
SPRINGBOARD will contribute to the Responsible Research and Innovation approach that will support the creation and interdisciplinary collaboration as well as knowledge exchange to improve public health and quality of life.